A diagnostic-driven approach allows early treatment (in neutropenic patients with or without fever)1-4
A combination of diagnostic assessments is recommended:5
- Routine galactomannan (GM) monitoring every 3-4 days
- Appropriate clinical and microbiological evaluation
- High-resolution computed tomography (CT) imaging
CT Section of the lung with halo sign in a patient with haematological malignancy
Adapted from Greene RE et al, 20076
A diagnostic-driven approach has the potential to help you save lives6
- Routine GM screening is shown to lead to the early initiation of anti-fungal therapy4
- Initiating appropriate treatment on the basis of CT patterns has been shown to save lives6
- Increased survival was observed in patients with pulmonary invasive aspergillosis who presented with a halo sign versus those with other imaging findings at week 12: 71% vs 53%, respectively (p<0.01)6
*Analysis of chest CT findings at presentation from a large series (n=235) of patients with invasive pulmonary aspergillosis (IPA), to assess the prevalence of a "halo sign" and to evaluate the clinical utility of this imaging finding for early identification and treatment of IPA.6
Vfend® (voriconazole) is not indicated for the empirical treatment of invasive aspergillosis.
Example of a diagnostic-driven anti-fungal therapy integrated care pathway7
Diagnostic Assay Procedures
Introduced by Malcolm Richardson
Director – Mycology Reference Centre, Wythenshawe Hospital , Manchester
Honorary Professor – Medical Mycology, University of Manchester
‘The use of non-culture based diagnostic tests for the diagnosis of invasive aspergillosis’.
IFD, invasive fungal disease; MD, invasive mold disease; PCR, polymerase chain reaction
- Rogers TR, et al. Br J Haematol. 2011; 153(6): 681-97.
- Freemantle N, et al. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66 (Supp 1): i25-35.
- De Pauw BE & Viscoli C. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66 (Supp 1): i55-8.
- Maertens J, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2005; 41 (9): 1242-50.
- Marchetti O et al. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2012; 47(6): 846-54.
- Greene RE, et al. Clin Infect Dis. 2007; 44(3): 379-9.
- Agrawal S, et al. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2011; 66 (Supp 1): i45-53.